Saturday, April 19, 2008

Bento

This last class we had, we made our own bento boxes. The process we went through making the bento boxes was similar to picking food out at a buffet table. The difference was, rather than picking out food and just plopping it on your own plate, it is recommended that you be creative with the food. You can make shapes and arrangements with the foods that are ascetically pleasing to the eye. This is something that I am not use to when I'm dealing with food, so after I was done with my bento, I realized I could have been more creative. One of the things that also motivates the creativity of the bento box is that you are making the box to give to someone else. You are able to acknowledge the other persons effort and creativity. The food goes beyond the meaning of food in the conventional sense. You realize it just does't appear on your plate but some else puts it there for you. Usually by someone who cares. Because of that, the food tastes and looks better.

No comments: